BLUE MAN GROUP – What a show!
I went out and saw Blue Man Group tonight at Centre in the Square. It was wild and unusual, funny and exciting. They are playing again tomorrow night. I highly recommend you see it. Kitchener is the only Canadian date on their tour.
Before going out to Centre in the Square tonight to see the Blue Man Group, I wanted to find out a little more about the show. I was surprised to read that the Blue Man Group has been around since 1987! They are a avant-grade performance art troupe located in New York, Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Orlando and Berlin. They were founded in New York. The founding members are Chris Wink, Matt Goldman and Phil Stanton.
There are a number of different themes found in various Blue Man performances. These themes include:
- Science and technology, especially the topics of plumbing, fractals, human sight, DNA, and the Internet.
- Information overload and information pollution, such as when the audience is asked to choose one of three simultaneous streams of information to read.
- Innocence, as when the Blue Men appear to be surprised and perplexed by common artifacts of modern society or by audience reactions.
- Self-conscious and naïve imitation of cultural norms, such as attempting to stage an elegant dinner for an audience member with Twinkies (This was my favorite part; it was hilarious.)
- The Outsider. Blue Men always appear as a group of three. This is because not only are Blue Men viewed as outsiders to the rest of the world, but three is the smallest group possible wherein there can be a subgroup of more than one as well as a subgroup of one, the outsider. Many of the Blue Man skits involve one of the three Blue Men performing in a manner inconsistent with the other two.
If you visit the Blueman Group’s website you’ll find how lucky we are in Kitchener Waterloo to be part of this tour. We are the only Canadian date mentioned on this tour – a tour that includes other great cities like Philadelphia, Denver, Houston and Honolulu!
What did I think of the show?
Wow! The Blue Man Group was (I hate to use this overused word) amazing. Powerful music, fabulous storytelling, never a dull moment. It was so funny at times and so much fun.
On the Centre in the Square’s website they describe the show as a phenomenon that combine comedy, music, and technology to produce a totally unique form of entertainment. Although it is impossible to describe, people of all ages agree that BLUE MAN GROUP is an intensely exciting and wildly outrageous show that leaves the entire audience in a blissful, euphoric state. With no spoken language, BLUE MAN GROUP is perfect for people of all ages, languages, and cultures. This unique experience is a form of entertainment like nothing else; guaranteed to be an outing you will never forget.
I don’t think I can add anything to that except to say it was wild and unusual, and if you’re a fan of 365 things to do in Kitchener Waterloo (and I think you are) you’ll know that we are always seeking out new and interesting things to do.
Here’s my advice: See this show tomorrow night.
Where: Centre in the Square
When: Tomorrow night –> February 26, 2013
For tickets and more information please visit website.