Why Buy from Independent Stores this Christmas?
One of the things that makes Kitchener-Waterloo unique is all the wonderful independent businesses we have in our area. Whether it is local produce or local retail, there are so many options at our fingertips. It’s hard to believe but some people don’t explore all the wonderful options out there. Which is why this Christmas, we are highlighting some excellent local businesses that are here to serve you. It is not always possible to buy what you want or need locally, however we are encouraging you to look local and think local first!
I was surfing online and came across a website that was talking about the reasons why it is important to support local businesses. They basically put it like this:
Think local first + Buy local when you can = BEING Local!
If part of the reason you love Kitchener-Waterloo is for the local shops and the character they bring….then you need to shop local to support the local store owners.
Top Ten Reasons to Buy Local!
- Support YOURSELF: When you buy local you strengthen the economic base of the community. Studies have shown that when you buy from a locally owned business instead of a nationally owned businesses, significantly more of your money is used to make purchases from other local businesses and service providers. This continues to strengthen the economic base of the community and in turn benefits YOU!
- Support Local Charities: Did you know that non-profit organizations receive an average 250% more support from smaller business owners than they do from large businesses? We should support those who support our community!
- Keep Kitchener-Waterloo Unique: It is the independent stores, restaurants, coffeeshops and markets that gives the Kitchener-Waterloo community its unique feel. It is the one-of-a-kind businesses that are an integral part of the distinctive character of this place.
- Environmental Impact: Not only to locally owned businesses make more local purchases, because they are set up in the core of the city (Downtown Kitchener and Uptown Waterloo) instead of on the fringe, they contribute less to sprawl, congestion, habitat loss and even pollution.
- Creating More Good Jobs: Small local businesses are the largest employer nationally, employing 48.3% of our workforce according to the Government of Canada. This means they also provide a large amount of jobs to residents in our community.
- Better Service: Because local businesses are often smaller, they hire or train employees with a better understanding of the products they are selling. They also create and maintain relationships with customers.
- Investing in Our Community: Local businesses are owned by people who live in this community. Therefore, they are less likely to leave or move to a different city leaving residents jobless. They are also more invested in the community’s future.
- Put your taxes to good use: Local businesses in town centres require comparatively little infrastructure investment and make more efficient use of public services!
- Buy What YOU Want: Having a strong market place of small businesses is the best way to ensure innovation and low prices over the long-term. It also guarantees a broader range of product choices because the company is selecting product based on consumer and not a national sales plan.
- Encourage Local Prosperity: We are fortunate in Kitchener-Waterloo to have such a prosperous community. However research shows that in an increasingly homogenized world, entrepreneurs and skilled workers are more likely to invest and settle in communities that preserve their one-of-a-kind businesses and distinctive character. Lets keep Kitchener-Waterloo unique!
Think local first + Buy local when you can = Being a local!
Looking for ideas of GREAT Christmas gifts from FANTASTIC local stores? Check out our post by clicking –> here!<–
FOLLOW US on Twitter & using the hashtage #BuyLocal365 for great Christmas gift ideas every day!