Thursday, Oct. 19, 2017

Two new restaurants in uptown Waterloo – The Embassy and Watami Sushi and Sake bar

Written By:

December 11, 2010

Posted In:

embassy restaurant in uptown waterlooI was in uptown Waterloo and the other day and I noticed that we have a couple of new restaurants pretty much across the street from each other.

The first is the Embassy at 56 King Street North. I dropped in, but didn’t have time to eat. l talked to the manager briefly and found out that the Embassy is owned by the Duke of Wellington (the pub not the person).  Actually, the Duke of Wellington has recently opened two other pubs in Waterloo Region. This one looks more like a lounge than a restaurant. I looked at the menu and it looks like tarted-up pub food and that’s fine with me.

It’s located where the short-lived Tyrone T’s used to be.

Where: 56 King St. N., Waterloo

——-

watami sushi bar in uptown waterloo Watami Sushi and Sake Bar

The other new place that just opened in uptown Waterloo is a sushi and sake bar. It’s located where Charbrie’s used to be. Charbrie’s was around for a long, long time and people either loved it or hated it.

We weren’t fans of Charbrie’s here at 365-KW, but we are fans of sushi. So if you’re going or if you’ve already been to Watami, please let us know what you think.

Where: 15 King Street North.

Related News

15th Annual Chicken Wing Competition!
Roaster’s Delight: A Guide to the Best Independent Coffee Roasters in Waterloo
Valentine’s Day Idea’s in Kitchener-Waterloo

About Author

kdmarshall

Keith helps home buyers understand homes, schools and neighbourhoods in Kitchener Waterloo. He is an author, an award-winning realtor and an agent of change. On Twitter @kdmarshall. Online at keithmarshall.ca.

(6) Readers Comments

1. GRaposo
    December 22, 2010 at 10:17 am

Watami Sushi was a delightful experience. The rolls were a good size, tasted fresh, and very delicious. The wait staff were very polite and quick to bring food to your table. It's refreshing to go to a sushi place in Waterloo that isn't all-you-can-eat, and rushing poorly-wrapped rolls in your face; or don't come back to see if you're okay until you're hand is frantically waving in the air for a glass of lemon water. I'm not a sushi snob but my experience at Watami, in comparison to Ye's and Sushi 99, was pleasant and tastey. I will definitely be frequenting Watami a lot more than the others.

2. kdmarshall
    December 23, 2010 at 3:35 pm

That's wonderful. Thanks for the info. I've got a lunch date scheduled for January.

3. Wanderer
    January 24, 2011 at 11:40 am

I've already been to Watami 3 times since their opening, and I have to say quite tasty, right up there with a lot of great sushi places in Toronto. Not quite the best I've had, but the sushi chef definitely take delight in their work and it shows in both the presentation and taste, on my first visit I had a roll lunch, which was surprising in both how fresh it tasted and the plating. on my second visit I had a seaweed salad and their summer roll, and was pleasantly surprised with how refreshing the food tasted. Definitely would recommend to others and I have already, planning to bring my dining club there next month.

4. server101
    February 6, 2011 at 11:15 pm

I have been to the Embassy 4 or 5 times now and have enjoyed myself more and more each time I've been. I even took my niece and nephew there for dinner (on a slow night) and they loved it. The service has always been great and I find myself gravitating towards this new restaurant for all my dining needs. Whether it be family dinner, drinks with friends or just a quick lunch by myself at the bar. I recently discovered that they have a separate room in the back of the restaurant which my fiance and I are planning to book for our wedding reception. I believe this place could be hard competition for places like Wildcraft and Sole (if only there were more parking available). P.S> I recommend the Asiago Chicken Penne and also the Embassy burger and Embassy Salad. all were delicious!!

5. Kathy Surey
    June 6, 2011 at 11:35 am

Ever since the Embassy opened, a friend of mine and I had been meaning to make it there ... and we finally had the opportunity on Friday night, June 3rd. I have to say the food REALLY EXCEEDED our expectations and I would highly recommend this place to all foodies out there ... its about time that this end of Waterloo got a "HIP" fine dining place ... it should appeal to students for a splurge night, as the atmosphere is more like a lounge bar than not ... I love Janet Lynns but is more formal and Rude NAtive is not nearly as good ... and I never enjoy their service. This place had pleasing, excellent service, we were lucky enough to get a table at the window so we could almost feel like we were in a European Bistro ... without being on the street. I had the special which was a miso crusted tilapia ... and it was probably the tastiest fish dish I've ever enjoyed. The beer on tap was fairly short but they made the right choices. All in all, I will tell anyone who has never been there to GO ... and I will also go again. ONLY criticism I have to make is that my coffee wasn't tasty at all .. a little weak ... and the place looked pretty dark at the back which may put some people off, especially in the summer.

6. flourgurl
    July 6, 2011 at 4:57 pm

The roll that my date ordered at Watami was the only good thing about our visit. The seating is awkward and cramped, and anything else we had ordered was subpar. Instead, make the trip out to Tomu Sushi for an exceptional Japanese food experience.